Pastor Jim Mailloux
2 Peter 1:1-4
Looking Forward – Part 1 from First Baptist Church on Vimeo.
Follow-up Questions: Looking Forward – Part 1 from First Baptist Church on Vimeo.
Go Deeper Questions
- In what ways is 60 A.D. similar to 2015? In what ways is it different? Is it reasonable to expect that we may see the same level of Christian persecution in our day? Give current examples. Are there any Bible verses that tell us to expect persecution?
- Peter called himself a “servant and apostle of Jesus Christ”. He was a servant first, then an apostle. How would you describe yourself using your own ministry title (“servant and <ministry title>”)? Why is it sometimes difficult to view ourselves as slaves of Jesus Christ?
- In 2 Peter 1:1-2, Peter equates Jesus and God, thus asserting the deity of Jesus Christ. Why is this such an important doctrine? What other verses of Scripture declare the deity of Christ?
- In 2 Peter 1:3, Peter uses the words “divine power” to describe the power of Christ to help us live a godly life. The literal translation is “God dynamite”. In what ways does the power of Christ help you to live a godly life?
- Read 2 Peter 1:4. Contrast the “divine nature” with “the corruption in the world caused by evil desires”. Give examples.